Back to Blog

Does Medicare Cover Regenerative Medicine?

Image of Dr. Dan Levesque, DC
Dr. Dan Levesque, DC
severe-knee-pain

Regenerative medicine can be quite effective for helping patients in pain and facing surgery from degenerative damage in their joints. As it often takes years for joints to deteriorate enough before they fail, the age range who needs this the most are retired, on fixed incomes and can rarely afford the costs of regenerative treatments. Fortunately, now Medicare is starting to cover a program called Interfyl for qualified patients. 

Interfyl is a regenerative medicine product that’s derived from a section of the placenta called the chorionic disc. It contains actual ligamentous tissue that attaches the umbilical cord to the placenta and is similar in makeup to the ligaments that support and make up the joints of the body. The purpose of Interfyl is to help the body repair and replace damaged, deteriorated tissue and is expected to be the next great hope for patients facing joint replacement surgery.

Interfyl is considered an advanced therapy; meaning the patient must’ve made several attempts (at least 2) for help using other more ‘first line’ therapies within 12 months before they can be considered for the program. These include physical therapy, cortisone, hyaluronic acid injections, infra red laser, chiropractic and prescription medications to name a few. For qualified patients, basic Medicare (part B) will cover 80% with most secondary insurances covering the remaining 20%.

Beware of medicare replacement plans that may help with certain medications or procedures, but do not cover Interfyl. Some patients opt to change their replacement plans back to basic Medicare so they can get help for their damaged joints. This can be done during ‘open enrollment’, a period of the year where Medicare plans can be changed. This year open enrollment is November 1st thru January 15th, 2022. Changing requires help from an insurance salesperson who’s licensed to sell Medicare plans. Many of our patients have done this and were able to get the help they needed for regenerative treatments. If you have a replacement plan that won’t cover you, contact us and we can refer you to someone we know of who can help.


regenerative-medicine-natural-injection

It’s called Regenerative Medicine; what medicines are used?

Image of Dr. Dan Levesque, DC
Dr. Dan Levesque, DC

     Regenerative medicine products and therapies are based around applying human tissue allograft...

Read more
hiking-knee-braced

Regenerative Medicine Recovery Time

Image of Dr. Dan Levesque, DC
Dr. Dan Levesque, DC
    The decision to undergo joint replacement surgery is a big one. One must take into account the...
Read more