Sitting is BAD for You

Sitting equals smoking

     Thanks to rapid technological advancements (cars, computers, TVs, etc), we’re now sitting more than ever… and losing our health because of it! Over 25% of Americans sit for more than 8 hours every day. A 2011 study found that people who sit the most have a greater risk of disease and death:

     Prolonged sitting causes blood flow to slow down. This can allow fats to build up in the blood vessels, contributing to heart disease. Sitting for extended periods of time may also lead to insulin resistance which can cause type 2 diabetes and obesity - 2 more major risk factors for heart disease. Too much sitting can also contribute to blood clots. A 2018 study found that 82% of people who suffer from blood clots, sat for a significantly greater amount of time than the remaining 18%.

     Extended sitting also causes muscular imbalances which negatively impacts the mechanics of your spine. When you sit too long, the hamstrings and hip flexor muscles shorten. This causes a change in the angle of the pelvis, putting more stress on the lumbar discs, making them more prone to injury and contributing to poor posture. Eventually, the thoracic spine starts to round and shoulders slump forward. If you have to sit all the time, keeping your hip flexors and hamstrings flexible and balanced will definitely help your spine stay healthy longer. Come to the office and ask our rehab staff to show you some simple stretches and exercises that will help you do this. A chiropractic check-up will also be very important to make sure that your spine remains in good alignment.

References:
Beaumont Health: https://www.beaumont.org/about-us
Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.nr0.htm
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2016/16_0263.htm
JustStand.org: https://www.juststand.org/the-facts/
The Mayo Clinic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/sitting/faq-20058005
University of Leicester: https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/press-releases/2012/october/new-study-finds-that-sitting-for-protracted-periods-increases-the-risk-of-diabetes-heart-disease-and-death

Author
Dr. Dan Levesque, DC Dr. Levesque has practiced chiropractic in Abingdon, VA for the last 25 years. After experiencing amazing success with regenerative medicine himself, he came to work for Solutions Integrated Medicine. He is highly committed to further studying this science for the purpose of helping more patients feel better, become healthier and avoid surgery.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Cortisone Concerns

If you complain of joint pain enough times to your medical doctor, cortisone is commonly recommended, however should be highly avoided. Cortisone promises temporary relief, but the results are inconsistent for many; some patients report no pain relief....

Guided Ultrasound – Precision Matters

Ultrasound is a tool that can be used for diagnostic purposes as well as treatment. At Solutions, we use ultrasound to help diagnose ligament tears in the knee as well as labrum and rotator cuff tears in the shoulder. We also use ultrasound as guide.....

Protect Your Spine With a Back Brace

If you don’t have one of our back braces, you may be missing an important part of your care! We recommend back braces to patients whose spines are unstable. When the spine is unstable, it is more prone to injury. Instability can occur from....

Plantar Fasciitis

Plantar fasciitis is a common condition that’s responsible for many people starting their days off on the ‘wrong foot’. At Solutions, we have an excellent track record for treating plantar fasciitis. We use the latest in regenerative medicine treatments...

Myths of Rehab

Many patients think rehab is not as important as the other treatments they’re getting and tend to slack off on this area first. This is a big mistake; stopping therapy or early (or dismissing it altogether) can leave joints trying to heal prone to....

Holistic Approach = Better Healthcare

One of the reasons we have such a high success rate at Solutions is because we take a ‘holistic approach’. This means when we evaluate a patient for a degenerative knee joint, we also study all the other joints so we have the best chance at addressing....